Information for Parents
ELMACON 2013 will take place in the Hennings building of UBC Point Grey campus. Maps have been provided highlighting the competition location along with parking and transit locations.
On the Day
- There will be a scheduled lunch break but lunch is not provided. Parents should consider bringing a packed lunch for themselves and their children. Other options include...
- Mahony and Sons Public House (19+ only) - high end pub fare, 5990 University Blvd. Near the Scotia Bank and Shoppers Drug Mart
- Boulevard Coffee Roasting Company - coffee/tea and snacks, 5970 University Blvd. Also close to the Scotia Bank and Shoppers Drug Mart.
- University Marketplace - many food options. Corner of University Blvd and Wesbrook Mall.
- The University Marketplace has some restaurants (Sushi, Sandwiches) etc. and is a 10 minute walk from the Hennings building. There are also some food vendors in the Student Union Building (SUB) which is located next to the Hennings building.
- Parents are not allowed into the competition rooms during the first two stages of the contest (sprint and target rounds) but they are encouraged to attend the final countdown round. A full schedule is available online. Please make sure your child has his/her seatnumber, once inside there will be elmacon volunteers to assist them.
- A parent information session on elementary mathematics education will be held in another room of the Hennings building during the competition. Details are in the schedule and directions will be posted in the Hennings building on the day of the competition.
- Please make sure both you and your child read the competition Rules and Guidelines before the event.
- Maps have been provided indicating parking and transit options. Please check them and make sure you arrive on time (schedule)
We encourage parents and siblings to expore some activities while the contest is in session but please return in time for the countdown round at 3pm to cheer on the students.
- Beaty Biodiversity Museum, open 10am-5pm, cafe opens at noon
There is a regular museum tour at 12 noon and three screeings of the documentrary 'Raising Big Blue'
Screenings at 11:15am, 1:15pm and 2:45pm
There is an admission fee for this museum
- Museym of Anthropology, open 10am to 5pm, cafe and gift shop
Regular 'gallery walks' (11:30am and 2pm) are free with admission.
- UBC Botanical Gardens, open 9:30am to 5pm
Multi Activity Pass @UBC
Purchase a pass for free admission to MOA, Botanical Garden, Nitobe Garden and Beaty Biodiversity Museum ($33 Adult; $28 Youth/Student/Senior 65+; $85 Family - 2 adults & up to 4 children under 18), and also recieve 20% savings on UBC bookstore books, clothing and gifts, 15% savings on food items purchased at Cafe MOA and the Beaty Museum's Niche Cafe and 10% savings on admission to the Greenheart Forest Canopy Walkway.
Passports are vaild for 6 months and may be purchased at MOA, Nitobe Garden and UBC Botanical Garden.